If you have been given access to the document then there are several reasons why this error message may occur:
- The keystore has become corrupted. If this is the case you will need to remove the keystore and then register again.
- The file is incomplete (partial download). Compare the file size of the protected file against the file size the publisher has issued.
- The protected file itself is corrupt or has been corrupted during transfer (download or email). Ask the publisher to upload or send the protected file in a zip file and then try opening it again.
- Your hard disk is losing sectors and the keystore has become corrupted. If this is the case you will need to remove the keystore and then register again.
- Only outbound traffic has been allowed on port 443/80. If this is the case, you would have been able to register the viewer but the decryption key would not have been allowed to be transferred to the client since it would have been blocked by the port not being open.
- You are registering over a remote connection (i.e. VPN) – you must have a direct Internet connection to register. You will need to remove the keystore before registering again with a direct Internet connection.
- You do not have write access to the keystore files so the decryption key is not getting stored in the keystore. This can occur if you did not install/register the Viewer software whilst logged on as a Windows or Mac administrator, and/or you have subsequently been given limited rights to the keystore files.